Friday, August 22, 2008

Thanks Annie - The Cat Stevens Song



Annie reminded me that my favorite "banjo song", If You Want to Sing Out, Sing Out, by Cat Stevens is on YouTube. So I went and listened, and liked it so much that I put it up here on the 'blog for you. I first heard the song played on the banjo during the movie Harold and Maude, a black comedy by Hal Ashby from the 1970's. Man, there was some black humor and before-its-time themes in that movie! It remains one of the Top 10 movies of all time for me.

If you get to the actual YouTube page with the video and comments, I think you'll see a wide variety of opinions on the song, on Cat Stevens, his religion, middle east relations, and that's just on the first page! That was soooo interesting to me.

I also saw on YouTube where there is a "trailer" for Harold and Maude which has some key scenes and pertinent dialog, so I added that one above. Bud Cort was in only one other movie as far as I know (and I can't remember the name of it), but Ruth Gordon went on to make other movies (Rosemary's Baby, the Any Which Way but Loose movies too I think) and was a real gem of an actress. Interesting note: "They Did a Bad, Bad Thing" is the music behind the "trailer," which I remember from another weird movie, Eyes Wide Shut. Now there's a whole 'nuther blog topic! :-)

Anyway, I still can't get over how outrageous that movie was. Brings out the "old hippie" in me! And the soundtrack by Cat makes it just about perfect. Trouble is another favorite song from the movie. If you can find it, give it a spin. But be warned, I don't accept any responsibility for any hurt feelings or offenses the movie gives you. But, like many movies today, it takes a few pokes on our warlike nature, and has feminist and right to life issues thrown in as well.

Enjoy! More later,

Mike Z

PS I changed the YouTube video on Trouble because it has shots from the movie (not that I didn't like Cat's face young and older over and over, but I thought this more appropriate to the topic)

blog comments powered by Disqus