Monday, August 25, 2008

Norma Geddy - San Angelo Water Lily Display 2008

Click on the photo to see more flowers on Flickr

I am compiling my "Best of Water Flowers" photos for the Austin Pond Society 2009 calendar, and so far, this one is my favorite. We re-visited the City of San Angelo International Waterlily Collection on the trip back to Texas from Washington State. It was just as magical as when we had visited previously. The main difference I saw, other than some new lily varieties, was that the large red-rimmed lily pads (Victoria amazonica) that so impressed us last year were not to be seen. I don't know if it was the time of year, or for some other reason, but I missed them.

The other difference I noticed was the number of bees that were busy on the flowers had increased greatly this year. Again, it may be the time of year, but since honey bees are supposed to be disappearing from Texas, I was glad to see them out in force!

Hope this post finds everyone well and in good spirits. I will do my best to get some more photos and stories up soon.

UPDATE: I put some more water lily photos on Flickr with the set title San Angelo Water Lily Display 2008. Please go by and if you'd like, vote on which you think should be submitted for the Pond Society calendar. I would really appreciate your vote!

More later,
Mike Z

WaterLily_11

PS - Today one of my photos won an award on Flickr! With over 16,000 members in the group, and over 216,000 photos on the site, I am especially proud that someone would take the time to give a photo of mine an award. Thanks, Maisse!
PPS - Yesterday I entered 3 photos in the Austin Pond Society's Annual Calendar Competition, and the photo above won 3rd place in the "animals" category! The photo in the Zilker Japanese Garden post won Honorable Mention in the "ponds and water" category. They will be in the calendar for 2009! I am very pleased that I had these photos chosen for the calendar. There was some very formidable competition! I appreciate all the votes my photos received.

blog comments powered by Disqus