Monday, July 14, 2008

Grapes on Julia's Arbor


This post will be a short one. My mother-in-law asked me to take some photos of the grapes that are ripening on the arbor outside her kitchen door. Each year the grapes come, and some years are better than others, but this year in particular the grapes seem to be more plentiful than most years.

There are two kinds of grapes that grow on the ranch. The first kind is the variety pictured above. The second is a wild variety called the Mustang Grape. I don't know if that's the official name for this variety but that is what everyone in the area calls it. Spring at the ranch is a special time, because on a certain day in May (I believe it's the 5th) the Mustang Grapes are harvested while still green, and a scrumptious thick dark jelly is made from them. Folks at the ranch call it Green Grape Jelly. Traditionally the jelly is spread on bread with cottage cheese. It is SO tasty.

I missed the Green Grape harvest this year, but all things willing, I will be there for the one in 2009. Maybe I can document the process of turning Mustang Grapes into Green Grape Jelly.

More later,
Mike Z

PS Julia doesn't know it yet, but I am having this photo blown up and will find a suitable frame for it, since she was so impressed with the grapes. Hope she likes it!


blog comments powered by Disqus