Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Fireworks on the 4th of July

RedWhiteBlue_02

This past weekend was a very special Holiday for those of us in the US. Since I am reading John Adams by David McCullough, I begin to understand just what a long-shot the American Revolution was.

We spent the afternoon at Jan's relatives' house in New Braunfels, and did the usual July 4th things, like bar-b-q'ing and sipping adult beverages, but mostly talking and catching up with everyone's lives. Lots of fun. The brave ones even played horseshoes!

Jennifer and Tim's house is located in the ideal spot for viewing the city's 4th of July and New Year's fireworks show, and since we're under a burn ban due to the drought, if we were going to see fireworks, it would be here. Their house is located on a hilltop very near Landa Park, where the fireworks shows originate.




I had never tried to capture fireworks (or anything much at night) with the digital camera before, so I thought what the heck? I might as well start now. I used a tripod, and a remote trigger to minimize handshake, but had to use the tripod as a monopod to get the photos. So you might see some "wiggles" in some of the photos. My apologies.



I took a lot of photos, and about 18 came out. If you'd like to see some more photos, go to my Flickr page and check them out. Click on the Slideshow button at the top right to view them all. I would love to get your feedback on these. I sure enjoyed taking them.

More later,
Mike Z

blog comments powered by Disqus