Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Butterflies at Flat Creek Winery

DSC_0029_800x574


Jan and I took a "day trip" to Marble Falls last weekend to visit one of our favorite Hill Country wineries, Flat Creek Estates. I brought the camera in hopes of taking some good photos of the grounds and buildings, but these butterflies caught my eye. And that was that!
I am not sure of the name of the orange creature above. I looked it up on a butterfly identification website, and the best match is a Gulf Fritillary. It was very difficult to get them to stay still long enough to get a good sharp photo!

DSC_0040_800x575

My old friend the Pipevine Swallowtail (see On to the Next One from 2007). There were many of these around the bushes and flowers. They were constantly running others off from the flowers which was very interesting to watch.

DSC_0058_800x578
-
This is a very close cropping of another photo of the Gulf Fritillary. If you look closely, you can see that it's sipping nectar from the flower! This photo is one I'd like to get enlarged and framed. I like it a lot. I hope you do, too.


DSC_0019_800x573

I hope you enjoy these "gardens with wings," as one website has called them. I have re-cropped and replaced these photos so you can see the details better. Please come back soon and see what's new!

All the best,
Mike Z

---> PS - I just found a very nice video that shows off a little of the winery and the wines. Enjoy!

blog comments powered by Disqus