Saturday, November 3, 2007

On to the Next One...

(click on the photos to see them larger)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Pipevine Swallowtail~~~~~~~~~~~~

I went out this morning to see what would be feeding at the firebushes in my mother-in-law's yard, hoping that the hummingbirds would be out. The sun was bright and warm, too warm for November, but I sat and hoped. The hummingbirds must be migrating south, because none appeared. But there were two pretty butterflies that were chasing each other around between nectar snacks. I shot several photos of this guy, and caught him just as he flew off the flower and on to the next. I got another shot of same butterfly, and will post that one soon.


I did some research (thanks Google!) and ran across the North American Butterfly Association's website. They had lots of butterfly photos, and the best I can tell, this one is a Red Spotted Purple. I am probably wrong, but of all the pictures they had, mine was closest to this species. If you'd like to see the different butterflies on their site visit:

http://www.naba.org/chapters/nabast/photogallery.html


I got a reply to an email I sent to butterfly expert Berry Nall, and he says this one is a Pipevine Swallowtail. Thanks Berry!
Another butterfly expert, Will Cook, not only sent me the name, but also a webpage with a photo and a bit of info about the Pipevine Swallowtail:
http://www.carolinanature.com/butterflies/pipevineswt.html

I am learning a new camera, a Nikon D70, since my trusty Dimage Z5 was damaged on Enchanted Rock. Used a 70-300 telephoto lens with the camera on continuous mode to catch the right moments. The D70 is much more complicated than the old one, but I hope to be a quick study.
The second photo side view of the same butterfly, is now up. Thanks for stopping by. Come back often!

blog comments powered by Disqus