Monday, December 10, 2007

Last of the Garden Flowers


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Barbados Cherry Blossom~~~~~~~~~~~~

The last few days here in Austin have been pretty dreary. As usual for Texas this time of year, we had a cold front come through and the weather dropped 20-30 degrees in about 30 minutes. Will be cool and dreary for the next couple of days at least. My foot is healing and I am taking short walks around the house for exercise and to remind my foot about things like weight and how to support me properly. I also got behind the wheel (look out!) for the first time in over 2 months this morning. Man that felt strange! The nicest part of the recovery so far is not having to wear the boot!

NOTE: Kathy told me today that the plant and flower I photographed is a Barbados Cherry. She has a bush like it in her garden. It reminded me that I had taken several pictures of the plants in her garden a few months ago. So, be on the lookout for some of my favorite flowers from Kathy's Garden very soon. She really has a green thumb, and when you see them, I know you'll agree!

Anyway, these cute pink flowers are about the last blooms in our whole yard now, so I thought I would take a shot to put on the blog. Jan's sister Kathy had given her this bush several years ago, and Jan remembers it being a pigeon berry bush. Unfortunately, I can't find any pictures on the web of pigeon berry bushes or pigeon bushes that have these flowers. I have a question on the Garden Guides website to see if anyone can identify the flower, and also an email to Kathy.

I am hoping for better weather soon, so Jan and I can take a trip out for more photo ops. A friend of hers told Jan today about a place called Fall Creek Vineyards near Tow, TX. If the weather lets up, we will travel the 50 or 60 miles to the winery to take pictures and maybe have lunch. I hope you are doing well.

blog comments powered by Disqus