Saturday, November 10, 2007

My 2005 Trip to Lost Maples TX

My buddy (and my daughter's father-in-law) Richard Price is heading down to Lost Maples TX on Monday, since he has Veterans Day off. I hope to take some photos of this year's foliage, and compare to these that I took on our last trek that way. I took these photos in 2005, around the 20th of November. The year was very dry, so the foliage was "so-so."
I took these shots with my trusty old Minolta Z4040 4 megapixel camera. Pretty much set everything on Auto and pointed and clicked. I was just beginning to get the "photo bug" and mainly wanted to see what the camera would do. Made plenty of mistakes but some came out OK. I hope to do better this year!



The rains this year have been lots more plentiful (excluding these last two months!) so I am hoping that the display will be better. I have been checking out one of the many websites devoted to these beautiful treasures, and I include one here. This is the one I go to most often to check the progress of the fall color-change:


http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/lost_maples/foliage.phtml



I am very excited to be heading back to the Lost Maples area. It is quite a trek away from Austin, and I don't know how far into the woods I'll be able to go on crutches, but I will do my best. I can't wait to see what the Nikon D70 can do with these wonderful trees. I will post some photos when I return.
Thanks again for checking out my blog. I am really enjoying this, and I hope you'll come back often. Bye for now!
PS: the Lost Maples website says that the colors this year haven't been up to snuff due to the warm weather we've had recently. We didn't get a chance to go take photos as I had hoped, but maybe it was just as well. The photos on the site showed that the foliage was very similar to the photos I took above. We are having a very cold snap tonight which should last through the weekend, so maybe that will help.

blog comments powered by Disqus