Saturday, February 6, 2010

Pelicans on the Bayou St John

First post on the 'Memories in quite a while. I shot these photos in New Orleans about a month ago (that long?? time sure flies...) at the Jackson Day Race on a very cold morning with the temperature at about 21degrees F. Our family had a reunion of sorts to celebrate the 103rd running.

Some of you may know that the pelican is the State Bird of Louisiana. A pelican with 3 chicks is on the state flag. This was the closest to pelicans I had been in quite a while, so I snapped a few shots and these were the best of the lot.


pelican on the Bayou St John
the State Bird of Louisiana

The pelican staring at me over its back in the photo below is the same one that is in the photo above. I really felt sorry for them if they were as cold as I was that morning.

pelican family
Pelicans

Ok so the photo below is not a pelican, it's a heron. He was fishing in one of the ponds around the New Orleans Museum of Art. We passed it as we "raced" along (actually walked, more on that in a later post).


heron
I bet this heron was COLD


I apologize again for this short note. I have been so busy (darn Facebook!) but I didn't want too long to pass before I got back to this blog. I hope to be back more often in coming weeks.

Thanks for stopping by,

Mike Z

blog comments powered by Disqus