Saturday, July 14, 2012

Tracy Arm Fjord, our Trip to Alaska 2012



Striations in the hillside formed by glaciers - click to see larger
We passed numerous hills that had been "sanded down" over millions of years by the ebb and flow of glaciers. The parallel scars, or striations, made interesting patterns in the rock.

Entering the Tracy Arm Fjord - click on photo to see larger
Our ship, the Celebrity Infinity, is the largest boat that is capable of navigating this fjord. We were lucky! The day was chilly but sunny, and the spot where we were standing was high enough to afford a good view of the mountains and the water.


Iceberg in Tracy Arm Fjord - click on photo to see larger
Jan and I went on our second cruise to Alaska a few weeks back, and I have been trying to get all the photos together to make a photo book, and a video of the photos. It is a long process because I have so many photos! (I know, waaah, waaah...)

So this will be a new type of post for me. I call it the "add-a-photo" post. I will add more photos of our journey through the fjord, ending with some photos of the Sawyer Glacier that I am pretty proud of.

I really like the blue color in the ice in this photo, it's as close to the color I saw as my camera could get. The day we went through the fjord was about as perfect as you could imagine. It was only after that that the weather got bad....

Till the next post,
thanks for stopping by!

Mike Z


blog comments powered by Disqus