Sunday, July 22, 2012

Someone likes my photos!


As a non-professional but hoping-to-be-acceptable photographer, I have long wondered what it would be like to have folks like my photos well enough to buy prints of them. Photographer friends of mine like Bob Zeller, the excellent bird and landscape photographer, already know how that feels. I have donated a few framed photos, and enjoy matting and framing my photos to give to folks who need a little something to relax them, or give them something tangible to remember a shared experience. But the requests to purchase my photos have not been overwhelming to date.

Several months ago, I got an email from a very nice lady named Laura, who lives near New Braunfels. Last Thanksgiving I had taken some photos of the Guadalupe River, and posted them on my weblog. Laura wondered if I could make her a canvas print that she could hang above her fireplace in her new house, and could I help her make that print? Of course I could! I was thrilled! Little did I know that the print she wanted was 30"x40", way beyond my printer's capabilities.

But after several emails and phone calls, we decided how it would work. And in about 3 weeks as I remember, she got to pick up her new gallery-wrapped canvas print. I got to see where it was to be hung, and it looked really good to me.

A few days ago, she sent me an email with the photo above attached, and told me that she had had the photo framed to set it off from the fireplace rocks. It looked so much better to me! I was glad she thought of that.

So now I know a little of how it feels to have someone like my photos well enough to purchase prints. I could get used to that! :-)

Till next time,
Mike Z

blog comments powered by Disqus