Monday, June 16, 2008

Raven at the Grand Canyon

While driving along the road towards the South Rim I spotted this raven (I hope I am correct, as I am no ornithologist!) horsing around with a buddy in one of the turnouts. I got out of the car to get a few photos, and they flew to the trees at the edge of the canyon.

I did my best to get a clear shot of either one of them, but they were too sneaky for me! I eased around as quietly as a 240 lb man can while crouching low enough to see where they had gone to, and got this photo of one of the pair.

We saw a coyote, a young deer buck, and a few ravens/crows while we drove along. Mostly they were just wandering along the road. We could tell where they were by the cars that lined up along both sides of the road while the tourists like ourselves took photo after photo.

This photo is for Heather, who has ravens in her back yard. To see some fascinating movies of her "pets," go see the Heather -Raven Lady blog. There are photos and a couple of movies!
I think you'll enjoy them.

More later. Hope you're having a great day!
Mike Z

PS Rockadee identified my photo bird as a raven by its' wedge shaped tail and the location the shot was taken. Thanks Rockadee! To see his Flickr page check out Birding in the Wild. Great photos!

blog comments powered by Disqus